THE ZBORNAK FILES

because sometimes dorothy was dead

Friday, September 24, 2004

Beep Beep



I went to Oxford on Wednesday morning to help out with European Mobility Week's 'In Town Without My Car!' campaign. Despite the 7AMness of it all I was awake, alert and serving up loads of Fairtrade tea, coffee and freshly baked croissants whilst having a jolly good time in central(ish) England. The event had a massive turnout, but sadly I could only get a pic in after the rush had died down (what with me feeding the masses and all), so that above doesn't give a strictly accurate impression (also missing from the pic is a group of unshaven posh boys with a social conscience who had organised the event standing just to left of my lens, they are my latest New Favourite Type).

Oxford is quite an easy city to get around without a car, the bus services are great, it's very bicycle friendly and the lack of parking must be quite off putting anyway. The Park & Ride service, which lets you park out of town and get a bus in used to be part of one of my favourite days out when I was younger. We'd drive to one of the park/pick-up points and go in by bus (usually top deck, front row so I could pretend I was on a spaceship), get off, go shopping/punting/eating/Oxford Storying and then come back home. One time, I went with my Dad and his (now ex-)girlfriend to go punting and we fell in to the river. I swear I saw little animated creatures dancing underwater.

Urm, yeah, flashback over. Obviously Sunny Bee has worked it's way into my mental processes again.

After the unshaven posh boys with a social conscience left, I stayed behind to help out at my friend's charity shop nearby. I adore working at charity shops, it's just so much fun. Aside from all the old 80's/90's wonder to be found, they have some gorgeous new tasteful items to buy and the music they play is divine. I say "they play", but I mean "I play". Seriously, get me in a shop with a CD selection and I'm working that second-hand ghetto blaster to the bone!

I started the day off with a bit of Marlene Dietrich, in honour of Emmer, switched to Select's Best of '96 (or maybe '98) indie compilation and made loads of "yeah, I chose this from the shelf 'cos I'm that cool" eye contact with some student shoppers whilst recalling nights of Suede and Blur when I was late-teen and Indie. After lunch, I switched to some up-tempo Bollywood before bringin' da noise with N'Sync. Then, I found what may be the best compilation CD ever devised - Smash Hits Party '88 - and played Theme from S'Express and Push It 3 times in a row before coming up to date, and down to earth, with a pirated copy of American Life.

At one point, one of the unshaven posh boys with a social conscience came in with some chocolates as a thank you for helping out earlier. If I hadn't got myself a man already I would have totally asked him to lunch, formed a crush and been besotted with an unattainable straight boy for the next 6 months. Oh well, maybe next time.

This morning, I pretty much made up my mind that I'm moving to Oxford before Christmas or I will die. I need beige buildings and free post-feminist lectures in my life.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have Smash Hits Party '88 on vinyl. I rock, obviously. Glad to see you back on the blog, now come on Messenger more often and all will be well with the world. Ain't Etienne.

     
  • At 7:06 pm, Blogger ZFW said…

    You totally rock! I have vague memories of borrowing it from the library and copying it onto cassette, but that is in no way as good as owning it! On viynl!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home